Knob and Tube Wiring Removal
The Shock Doctors are specialists in knob and tube wiring; caring for these elegant and stately homes with skill, patience and expertise. When The Shock Doctors complete a knob and tube repair, the home has all the character of its era, and all the convenience and safety of a new home.
Because most older homes have a mixture of knob and tube and other wiring materials, it is important to have a careful electrical inspection and assessment completed so that you have all your options available before you proceed.
A SITE VISIT BY ONE OF OUR PROFESSIONAL ELECTRICIANS WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH A FULL INSPECTION AND ALL THE OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO MAKE YOUR HOME SAFE.
Knob & Tube Wiring Removal
Knob & Tube Wiring is the oldest method of wiring a home —cloth-covered wires are connected with porcelain knobs to secure the wires in place. Wherever the wire passes through a stud or joist, holes are drilled and fitted with porcelain tubes; the wire is threaded through these tubes to prevent them from touching the wood; thus the name — Knob & Tube Wiring.
Is Knob & Tube Wiring Safe?
Knob and tube wiring is NOT safe — for a number of reasons:
- It is between 70 – 110 years old. It is worn out. The porcelain knobs and tubes crack or break, old wires sag and fray, and the sheathing turns brittle and falls off, exposing the live wires.
- Most homes that were originally knob and tube wiring now have a dangerous combination of knob and tube and modern wiring. The most dangerous problems with knob and tube wiring are caused by trying to add additional wiring to the original system.
- Knob and tube wiring is an UNGROUNDED system which is completely unacceptable by today’s standards.
- Knob and tube wiring is designed to be strung through open air so the heat can dissipate well. Improved insulation techniques create hazards as loose-fill insulation blown into the attics and walls of older houses will come into contact with the wires creating a serious fire hazard.
- Modern appliance plugs get modified in order to make them compatible with the old and outdated 2 prong receptacles
- Vastly higher electrical demand causes overuse of extension cords and power bars.
- Modern living requires more power than the old system was intended to supply.
The Best Solution to Fix Knob and Tube Wiring
- Removing the old Knob & Tube wiring and replacing the entire system with new copper wiring to meet today’s Electrical Safety Code Authority standards
With care and skill, a beautiful old home can be rewired without demolition and major damage. The beauty and charm of a heritage home can remain intact but have the safety features and improved appraisal value of modern wiring.
Call us at 1-877-646-7440 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment.